Welcoming The Year of The Dragon

A backdated post. This Chinese New Year celebration has been a memorable one for me and my family. On the eve of the new year, I was feeling a bit off. My body was tired and I thought it was because I have been cleaning the house and getting ready to welcome the new year.  Then I had very bad acid reflux and I couldn’t even eat the steamboat reunion dinner that night. The following day, hubs drove us back to Ipoh and in the car, I was starting to have a bit of a runny nose. I thought perhaps it was cold and I had the aircond facing me throughout the journey.

I still felt funny the whole day when we celebrated at my cousin’s house, followed by a dinner in a restaurant that night. I popped an antihistamine pill and went to bed. The next day, I felt a bit better but still with runny nose. I met up with my best friends who were back in Ipoh. I felt very tired as the day went by.

The next day, we headed home and I wore my mask in the car for the whole journey as I didn’t want to spread my runny nose to hubs and missy. My body still feel off but I didn’t do a test. The next morning I had to go to work and so I decided to do a test because my sister did a test the day before as she was also unwell and she tested positive for Covid.

Alas, I am not a Covid-virgin (a term coined by my friends) anymore. Since the pandemic, hubs and I have never gotten Covid. Last Chinese New Year, I was sick on Day 15 and I tested myself but was negative. However, I lost my sense of taste and smell for a week. Not sure if the test kit was not accurate or I had gotten another kind of illness.

So I quickly went to the pharmacy to stock up on test kits, cough meds, cold/flu meds, lozenges and Tiger milk mushrooms. Luckily my symptoms were mild. I only had runny nose. I recovered in 3 days after I tested positive. Actually I quite enjoyed myself when I quarantined as I just laid in bed and relaxed with no one disturbing me.

Just when I recovered, my hubs also tested positive. My mother and my other sister also tested positive as we have been together in Ipoh and staying in the same house. I am not sure if I was the superspreader or my other sister who probably got it from her husband, who also tested positive 2 days before Chinese New Year but he quarantined himself.

Luckily missy, my dad, my friends and other relatives were spared. So this Chinese New Year celebration was indeed a memorable one for all of us.

This entry was posted in Celebrations, me. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *