Recently when my in-laws were back for a holiday, they bought some bagels for me. They know bagels are my favourite but I could not eat them anymore as they are not low carb. Since I have some cravings for bagels last week, I decided to bake them myself. I found this keto bagels / low carb bagels recipe online – https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/low-carb-bagels-with-almond-flour-keto-gluten-free-5-ingredients/. This recipe is easy to follow. Do scroll down for the details.
Slather them with lots of salmon cream cheese. Yums!
LOW CARB BAGELS WITH ALMOND FLOUR (KETO, GLUTEN-FREE) – 5 INGREDIENTS
These gluten-free, keto low carb bagels with almond flour need just 5 ingredients. They are easy, chewy, and delicious!
- 1 1/2 cup Almond flour
- 1 tbsp Gluten-free baking powder
- 2 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2 oz Cream cheese (cubed)
- 2 large Eggs (beaten)
- Sesame seeds (for topping – optional. I didn’t have any so I left mine plain)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir together the almond flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Combine the shredded mozzarella and cubed cream cheese in a large bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Stir again at the end until well incorporated. (If you don’t want to use the microwave, heat the cheeses in a double broiler on the stove over low heat, stirring frequently, until completely melted and easy to stir.
- Stir the flour mixture and eggs into the melted cheese mixture. Working quickly while the cheese is still hot, knead with your hands until a dough forms. The dough will be very sticky, but keep kneading and squeezing through your fingers for a few minutes. If the dough becomes hard before fully mixed, is too difficult to mix, or is still sticky after a couple minutes, you can microwave/reheat for 15-20 seconds to soften it. In that case, wash your hands and knead again.
NOTE: It’s very important for the dough to be completely uniform before proceeding to the next step. You shouldn’t have pieces of cheese separate from areas of almond flour.
- Divide the dough into 6 parts. Form/roll a long log with each part, then press the ends together to make a bagel shape on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough. If using sesame seeds, sprinkle them over the bagels and gently press into the dough.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes, until the bagels are firm and golden.