Char Koay Kak (Fried Rice Cake) is a popular street food that has a similar cooking style as Char Koay Teow. The Koay Kak are cut into square cubes and fried in a huge round wok together with dark soya sauce, bean sprout, egg and chopped chai poh (pickled radish).
So I had a craving for char koay kak last weekend, no thanks to the char koay kak stall which I saw at the market. I quickly bought the ingredients needed over the weekend to prepare for my keto version.
- Beansprout (1 packet). Not sure how much it weighed.
- 2 pieces of firm tofu (cut them up into small squares)
- 3 eggs
- 1 handful of chai poh (you can add more if you want)
- 5 cloves of garlic
- Heat the wok or pan on the stove.
- Saute the garlic and chai poh
- Add the firm tofu and continue to stir fry
- Add 1 tsp of dark soya sauce and soya sauce (to taste)
- Create a well in the center of the pan
- Beat the 3 eggs in a bowl and pour in
- Stir and toss the eggs to coat the tofu and chai poh
- Add in beansprouts and stir fry for another minute
- Remove and serve immediately.
Voila, this is my Keto Char Koay Kak vegetarian version. Next time I will add in some shrimps too. Got my cravings fixed.