Today is Day 6 of the Chinese New Year. I decided to boil a pot of nourishing dessert as I haven’t been having any since I started my keto / low carb way of eating. I came across a post by Yummy Keto By Charine on Facebook page where she whipped up a Low Carb Chinese Dessert or Chinese Tong Sui – Goji Berries Peach Gum Collagen Dessert.
Peach gum has been rather popular in the recent years for its nutritional properties. Peach gum is the resin from Chinese wild peach trees that are sold in small little golden nuggets. They are rich in amino acids and allow collagen to be easily absorbed into the body. Definitely a lot cheaper than bird’s nest and are usually cooked in dessert and soups.
This is the packet of peach gum that I bought. I only used 1/4 to make my dessert.
Below is the recipe from Yummy Keto By Charine.
15g Peach Gum = 7.5g total carbs
30g Lakanto = 30g total carbs (I used Erythritol which I bought from here)
5g Goji Berries = 1g total carbs
About 10 pieces of blueberries
1. Soak the peach gum in hot water for 2 hours. Soak goji berries for an hour
2. Rinse and strain it before use. You will some black strips on the peach gum which you can remove using a knife.
3. Add Erythritol to 500ml water and bring it to simmer.
4. Add peach gum, goji berries and cook in low heat for 30 mins.
5. Lastly, add in blueberries and turn off the heat when it’s softening.
6. Serve hot or add some ice for a cooling dessert.
After soaking in water, you can see that the peach gum have expanded in size.
My first low carb peach gum dessert or peach gum tongsui. I find that this dessert taste like leng chi kang, another type of Chinese dessert that helps to cool down the body.